Sunday, February 3, 2013

Depression- How to Feel Better

WHAT?

Depression. That's so DEPRESSING.



Yep, it is but many americans suffer from this and in our happy little family we're no strangers of depression.

Before I was married my emotions and feelings became more anxious over time, I would freak out over little things and literally have no control over myself. It's awful! And it's not my fault.

My family on my mother's side is heavy with depression issues my whole life growing up my mother cried, a lot.

After I married Andrew, he knew what he was getting into by the way, I started to let out more of what was a uncontrollable behavior. Andrew convinced me to see a Dr. and I was put on Zoloft, it saved my life, literally because I was suicidal at certain points in my "waves" To some people who don't struggle with depression this may seem like an excuse or that I'm just a bitch or something. But I feel TERRIBLE after an episode and I'm so thankful I have someone as strong as Andrew to hold me down, and keep me sane.


My kind of depression, Manic-Depressive comes in waves, I'm up one minute and down another, or up for a few weeks down for a few weeks. If I have a great time one night I'm down the next day. It sucked! Some people call it Bi-Polar but that has such a negative connotation these days.

It's ultimately what made me quit stand up, I would get such an adrenaline rush during the show, but I would be incredibly sad and depressed for two or three days!

Science stuff:

Bipolar disorder was formerly called manic depression. It is a major affective disorder, or mood disorder, characterized by dramatic mood swings. Bipolar disorder is a serious condition, when mania causes sleeplessness, sometimes for days, along with hallucinations, psychosis, grandiose delusions, and/or paranoid rage.




Symptoms I have:


  • Decreased appetite and/or weight loss, or overeating and weight gain < this one YEESH! 
  • Difficulty concentrating, remembering, and making decisions
  • Fatigue, decreased energy, being "slowed down"
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
  • Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
  • Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
  • Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such asheadachesdigestive disorders, and chronic pain
  • Persistently sad, anxious, or "empty" moods
  • Restlessness, irritability
  • Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts

SO I was thinking today of what I do to try and make myself "better" and compiled a list of ideas to help with depression on a more natural scale  

DO's

Get ready for the day, even if you don't have much going on. This one is important because it's easy to feel bad inside and look bad too. Then you look in the mirror and feel like a trash ball. Brush your hair, teeth, wash your face, shower etc. Put on makeup or shave, these things are the small services you can do for yourself. 

Eat healthy, don't overeat or under eat for the day, this one can be hard I know but still try!
Go ahead and sleep if you can, sleep never hurt anyone, but don't sleep all day! 

Go outside! Get a snack, go for a walk, feel the rain, sunshine, snow whatever! Go outside at least once a day. 

Keep up with hobbies and work, seeing others and participating in something you love will only make your world better. 

Remember to take your med's, you have a chemical imbalance in your brain. Take yo meds foo. 

Talk to a friend or spouse, most people will be able to help you! 

Meditate.

Pray.

Sing.

Do something NUTZO! Feel free to go out side naked and see how long you can stand the freezing temps at 3 am. I did, it was great. I lasted for 2.5 minutes. It's liberating to feel sometimes! One time a couple of years ago, Summer and I went out in the back yard at night and ran around naked in the rain. It was AWESOME. Skinny dip, hike, do something! 

Nothing is more beautiful than a happy girl. 

Or guy. 












2 comments:

  1. I love that you shared this Laura. I'm a little behind but I sure appreciate your openness. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete

OH yea! Leave me a comment so I know you visited!